Although it isn’t usual for Greek people to eat a dessert course after a meal ,mostly they will eat just fruits ,this is not to say that they do not have delicious cakes, pastries and dessert dishes that could be eaten after a meal or with coffee in the afternoon as a special treat for friends. The mosty popular deserts are Yogurt with honey and walnuts ,Halvas ,Kaνtaifi ,Baklavas and Galaktoburiko.There many other deserts that all have common the sweetness made from the syrup (honey or sugar with water) and the use of clove and cinamon like loukoumades and touloumbes,many of those desrts you will find as well in the middle east same or with a few diferences in the ingredients .In Athens and Thessaloniki there are shops that make only Loukoumades (the Greek doughnut) they call Loukoumatzidika.In our pages you will find some nice recipes of the above deserts.
Halvas with Semolina
* 125 gr. butter
* 1 cup of semolina
* 2 tablespoons almonds
* 2 1 / 2 cups water
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 tbsp grated cinnamon
1. Heat the butter and add the semolina and the almonds and sauté stirring constantly until browned, about 5
2. Remove from heat.
3. Heat the sugar with water over low heat to dissolve the sugar and allow to heat for about 5 minutes uncovered.
4. Pour the hot syrup to the semolina little by little and stirring and adding the cinnamon. On low heat stirring for
about 3 minutes until thickened.
5. Remove from heat and cover the pot with a towel and lid for 15 minutes.
6. Cover the base of a small round baking pan 20 cm with greaseproof paper and spread the halva, leave it so for 5
minutes about afterwards put on a nice platter.
* 1 / 2 kilo kantaifi
* 1 / 2 pound of crushed walnuts
* 1 / 4 cup bread crumbs
* 3 teaspoon cinnamon.
* 1 teaspoon clove
* 1 teaspoon lemon zest
* 1 / 4 cup sugar
* 500 g of fresh molten butter
For the syrup
* 3.1 / 2 cup sugar
* 1 / 2 cup glucose
* 2 cups water
* 2 timber of cinnamon and lemon peel (not zest)
1. In a bowl mix all dry ingredients.
2. Unfold kantaifi and cut a length of about 14 points. Take a strip and mix a little of the nuts. Wrap loose a role and place it in a well greased baking pan.
3. Continue until you run out of our material.
4. With a spoon, throw slowlly the molten butter above the kantaifi.
5. Bake at 180 degrees in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until lightly golden color.
6. In a saucepan add the ingredients for the syrup and leave it for 5 minutes from the time that starts to boil.
7. When ready cooked put the syrup with a spoon.Let it absorb the syrup and do not cover the pan in order to be crisp.
Read more about Greek food and other recipies.