2011- A new Beginning

Since 2 years we haven’t update our blog for various reasons. In 2011 we will continue to write with fresh Greek News and articles from the Greek media with more frequency, almost one or two posts daily so check here every day to cutch up with the latest from Greece .

During the 4 years we wrote over 100 articles and the blog had a lot of success and loads of comments, the last moderated commend are the following.
In the Greek mentality article anonymous wrote: Greek men come from a long-line of hyper-masculinity. Their history is made up of numerous heroes who triumph in their machoness. Hercules, Theseus, Perseus, Odysseus, Leonidas etc. All men who have overcome great obstacles with almost superhuman or Godlike ability. The Greek man’s nature is to be super proud of himself and his heritage. It almost exists as a birthright for Greek males. To be Greek is to be proud and to be a Greek male is another level of pride. Because the history is so deep and vast and so extremely rich, you will get a lot of Greeks in the modern day bragging about how much Greece has given to the world. The problem with this is for many Greeks is that there is a lot of talk and much less action. They say a lot, but don’t always follow through. I’m a Greek male and have noticed this flaw in our otherwise incredible strong culture. I like the strength that woman have in the culture. Many modern-Greek women are very independent and opinionated (the latter can be annoying sometimes). There are many Great things about the culture but there is also a flipside. The flip-side is that because of the strength of the culture in making people see things in only one way, it can sometimes not allow for individual self-expression and self-empowerment which is much more prominent in the newer western countries (ie USA). Greek culture is much more communal in this regard.

Another reader wrote in the Greek family article: I was in total shock when I first experienced the … I was in total shock when I first experienced the Greek lifestyle. I mean, you see this on tv or in movies and it’s all so cute and charming, and admittedly I was charmed for the first few visits, but then things began to take a darker shade when we started living together and those quirks that were once charming became miserable and those seemingly innocent comments became down right rude. I not only hated New York, I hated my in-laws and everything about my husband’s culture. Things had to change because I was not giving up my love because of in-laws or a filthy city.

Some things about my husband are stereotypically Greek while other traits are not. I came to realize that this isn’t as much about the Greek family dynamic as it is about the individual man and what I was looking for in a husband. For instance, I need a passionate man but I draw the line when passion becomes psychotic. I cherish a tight family but I will not tolerate intrusive behaviour or an invasion of privacy. I demand loyalty but that loyalty must be to me and me alone, not anyone else including his family. It would become a whole lot easier to get what I needed from my husband once I clearly identified my needs.

All of this recently came to a head for us. See, I was tolerant of his family (ok, let’s face it, his MOTHER) but it got me nowhere. The more I gave of myself, the more she wanted from me. I also realized that NOBODY is good enough for my MIL’s son. Mother Teresa would be inadequate. One, because she’s not Greek, and two, because Mother Teresa is not HER and therefore could not possibly take good enough care of her son.

So now I’ve identified my boundaries and my in-laws’ capabilities, which left one obvious cure. Whatever the cultural issues are, it’s my husband’s responsibility to handle his family. It is my husband’s responsibility to protect me as well as himself from his family’s overbearing and smothering ways and I expect him to do just that. It’s my responsibility to communicate my needs and to be patient while he makes these changes. It’s also my responsibility to accept his family’s culture and incorporate them into my life as long as we do not suffer. It’s like that old saying “your right to extend your arm ends where my nose begins”.

Bottom Line: Don’t let your in-laws ruin your love!!! You’ve finally found a man who makes you happy and whom you make happy. You’re the one who keeps him warm at night. You’re the one who makes him feel like a man. You’re the one who exhilarates him. Give him a chance to make this right. Make sure you are both very clear on what each other’s needs are and work hard to meet them. Make sure your husband understands that you will not tolerate and you expect him to not tolerate the unannounced visits, disrespectful comments (to you or about you), repeated meddlesome acts, and the 500 phone calls a day. At the same time agree to going over for a visit once a week or so, don’t bitch when his mother calls for the 3rd time but let him know that 4/5/6 calls is pushing it, help cook and clean at the family functions but when you’re in your home he will be expected to do the same. You have to be tolerant and respectful of your husband’s family just as he should be of you and yours. So far this is working for us because I was finally able to effectively communicate with my husband and be specific about what he could do to make a difference and thankfully I was met with a loving and willing response. I think he was actually relieved to have a specific direction. I don’t blame this on Greek culture. If you’re with a man who would let his family (or anyone else) negatively affect you, then you’re with the wrong man not the wrong culture.
In Athens sightseeing Sarah wrote: This is great! Thank you so very much for all the detail instructions and map (this is really helpful). For sure I will be taking the walking tour. Your information is the best I found on the web.

An enthusiast reader wrote: You are  the best I almost killed my self i couldn’t find any info on Greece but here it is u rock dude u rock

On the article “living on a Greek island” someone wrote: The Greek Isles offer far more than history though; they are also in touch with today’s society and technology. Several of the islands offer great sailing cruises. The Greek Isles are well known for great fine dining and a hot nightlife. There are also countess beaches to choose from on the seventeen islands.

Anonymous wrote at the article the Greek family: Thank you for infos, I just met a Greek woman a week ago and I find your blog very helpful to understand better of her culture backgrounds.

Julius wrote on the article about Delos: wow! It has been a long time since I have heard somebody talk about Delos Greece with such passion. I didn’t quite understand everything but the passion flows throughout the and it is amazing to see someone be so in depth about something. I can feel it, if that makes any sense.

Another reader wrote on the article about old days travelling to Greece and the Greek islands: You brought back a memory. I did a lot of backpacking around Europe back in a day. I remembering staying in a ‘Room to Let’ place in the Old Town of Rhodes in 1970 that was run by a family. The use of a bed cost the equivalent of 50 cents, you used an outhouse (toilet paper was shiny magazine pages on a wire) and outdoor sink (no shower) situated in the open courtyard. No hot water. At night when you got back to go to bed, you might find one of the owner’s family, usually his old father, in your bed. You had to roust him out and hope he hadn’t drooled or soiled himself. In Athens one of the more popular flop houses was John’s down in Plaka. Same price for a communal bed with shower and there was a place right across the alley and in a basement that served a heaping plate of spaghetti for 50 cents. Metaxa was a couple of cents a glass (2 star stuff) and coke was expensive at 50 cents a bottle. I use US prices; don’t remember the exchange rate for Drachma. It was all fun!
Another one wrote about Mykonos in the old days: Freddie owned the Paranga HUT on Paradise and as he owned all the land is now a multimillionaire. Alex still has the souvlaki in the Platia Manto.
Compro Skilos runs now charity events called Divas for Dogs..
How times have changed.
I lived on that Rock for 20 years ’74 to 94.I lived in Paradise so to speak but did not know it then.
Lovely story, do you remember the Mimika, Agapitos or Naias…. (Yes I do!!)

In Pictures of Greece someone wrote: All the pictures shared in this post shows the marvellous spectacular beauty of Greece….Even I wish to visit this place once in my life.

In married to a Greek article Julia wrote: I am an American girl and have a relation with a Greek man for a while now. I can 100% relate to all of the posts above. We have recently had our share of issues which prompted me to come here. Your posts have been enlightening as well as disheartening. I no longer feel alone in my struggle, but I also see that this is indeed a strict route that most Greek men take. The drama, the mothers, the family obligations, the spontaneous moves and career changes that fail because of no planning. I am a naturally passive person and generally us up and going and doing what he wants all the time is not a problem for me, but what our most recent problems are is the constant comments he makes to me degrading me. He passes them off as jokes, but they are remarks about imperfections in my body, my face, the way I keep my house…all of this on top of the drama he carries with him (as mentioned before) of the yelling and the cursing and then moments later it’s if it never occurred at all. However, the comments and the yelling stay with me and upset me deeply. We are clashing heads because of this and now trying to determine if this is something we can’t work through. Since he is not sensitive, he sees no reason I should be. Is this also a common trait for Greek men? Thank you.

In the article driving in Greece someone post: I have not driven in Greece before. Glad I has read the previous posts!,

Many students wrote in several educational articles lice education in Greece, modern Greece, Greece today posts like the following ones
Thank you so much.
This is great for my project!
Can you say more about Greek Math and Science? That’s what my project is mostly about. It’s the hardest part! Otherwise, I love it!
thanks so much!
Another: extraordinary Post! Thanks for subject this terrific depiction. I am feeling elated to grasp this.
Or :Thanks so much it was a life saver …
Another student wrote: I need this site. I have a 12 page report from our teacher and this gave me a lot of info. tanks  again.

Another: Thanks for the guidance and the information about Greek education, I am doing a project at school and I couldn’t find the education in Greece anywhere! This really helped me. Thanks again.
In Greece today someone wrote: This Article is basically OK. However, for the very large, present financial troubles of Greece (as a country) is the fact that the Greek people do NOT work sufficiently! Let them come to America to see how the Greek-Americans are working and save, in contrast to the Greek who think only …luxury and Kafenia!!

In Driving from England to Greece Someone wrote: Hi, we are travelling from Calais to Ancona next year april 2010 on country roads where possible how many days should we allow and is it easy to catch ferry on arrival many thanks (Answer allow 2-3 days there are many ferries)
and in the same article Mark wrote: I came to Greece by Air, but plan to return to the UK by road, with a dog on board. All the dog’s paperwork/quarantine requirements will be in order.
I obviously want the quickest and cheapest route. I would also like to know what I am allowed to take back in cigarettes and wine. I don’t want to take many (7 sticks of 200 cigs and 6 bottles of wine.) Have you any advice for me. Are there any rules on the way I should be aware? Many thanks. (answer. Like everywhere in the European union the same rules apply in Greece for European Union citizens travelling in and out of Greece )

www.in2greece.com © 2012